Wednesday 21 November 2007

Ryan's Comic Books

We went shopping one weekend. Ryan was fidgeting and was bored as we were dragging him from one store to another. He was asking when can we take him to the bookshop to read books. Any other parents would be overjoyed that their kids loves to read but in this case, it's actually hindering my shopping. So we do what most parents do; we bargained.

We will have another one hour of peaceful shopping with no whining from him and thereafter, we will go to the bookshop and as a reward, he gets to buy a book. There you go, a win-win situation.

So after window shopping, we went to the bookshop and Ryan chose his book. Imagine my surprised that instead of a "proper book", which he normally picks, he chose a pokemon comic. I know the comic book is colourful and looks interesting but he's only 5 years old and he does not know how to read (well .... not yet) and I was totally unprepared! But he was adamant and a deal is a deal so we ended up buying the comic. He has been "reading" the comic for the past few days, carrying it with him wherever he goes.

In the future, I will shortlist the books before getting him to decide (lesson learnt) and I did not know that boys start reading/looking at comics that early an age. Maybe it's normal. Maybe it's time for me to accept that at age 5, Ryan is no longer a "baby" and he has starts to develop new interests. Arrghh.......my "baby" is so grown up now.