Tuesday 6 May 2008

Exams for Kindi Kids?

I freaked out. Ryan's kindi send important messages to us parents via a message book which we will then need to acknowledge by initialing on the appropriate column.

The message this time is to inform parents that 6 years old children (including Ryan) will be having their first semester assessment from 20-23 May 2008 and relevant books will be given to them (+ parents) for home revision. The class teacher have also included the format and areas to be examined for the coming "assessment". How not to freak out? Before this Ryan have been to a play school and play schools don't have examinations. As far as I'm concern, assessment = examinations.

I have not be monitoring Ryan's school work for the past 2 months and I did not know that he have not been doing well in the spelling. I got hold of his spelling book and he's been getting only 1 to 2 words out of 5 correct.

He's in full day school and therefore the hours are like from 8.00 am to 3.00pm. Although there are a lot of breaks in between, he usually finished his homework, with his teacher's guidance by 3.00pm. Thereafter, he's at day care to sleep and play before I pick him up. With such long hours in school, I will not be doing the "boring" stuffs like spelling at home but more incline to chat with him, do role play, story telling, reading, basically we will be having fun and doing bonding stuff.

I talked to papa and sort of like pressured him to coach Ryan for his forthcoming "assessment". Being the responsible papa, he relented. Anyway, papa can only teach him Bahasa, English and Mathematics. When it come to chinese, he's on his own; it's like the parents are throwing him into the deep end and asking him to swim. Sigh!!

I wonder whether it is wise to send him to a chinese medium school but more importantly how I suddenly become a kiasu parent?