Monday 22 August 2011

My Journey with Ryan

I thought I am doing ok as his mom. I am wrong. I discovered that I have not done enough. Let me tell you about Ryan, my first born, going to be 9 soon. He was simply adorable as a kid and as he was growing up, he was a fine boy and polite. I'm proud of him. He was easy to manage and he did not give us any problem.

Then he started schooling and he mixes around with the bigger kids. We noted a slight change in his behaviour but nothing alarming. He will come back and tell us stories. Some good stories and some painful ones. Then I will dismissed them, thinking that this is what normally kids go through and eventually everything will be ok. He will eventually learn somehow and I also did not want to dwell in it too much. Part and parcel of growing up.

Then his sister came along and at first, it was all ok. He will play with her but as she's growing up, he finds her to be a challenge. He feels there is a need to compete with her, for the attention etc and they started fighting. This is followed by angry sweeping statements - more headache for my boy as everyone of us seems to think that as the older child, he is expected to take the higher road and give in to her sister. This resulted in him being rebellious and his behaviour got worse. More growing pains.

Being parents are not an easy task. I think I need to prioritise and rethink before it's too late on what's more important to me. How do I want my children to be (outcome) and I must be willing to make the journey with them (input). I have heard stories about successful professional who thrived at their careers at the expense of their family and children. It never occurred to me that I'm going down that route but I guess I will, if I am not too careful. Soon, my boy will be a teenager and we all know how difficult that phase of life is. I have to act before it's too late. Like I said, it's never easy being a parent - but with lots of love, patience and a strong heart - everything will be ok.