Tuesday 9 December 2008

Ryan's Introduction to Primary 1

Ryan will be starting Primary 1 next year in Puay Chai 2. The school is located within Bandar Utama and I understand from other parents and teachers that most of the students there are not from mandarin-speaking families (just nice for Ryan).

Anyway, the school had an optional 3-week introduction class for all its new students from 17 November 2008 to 5 December 2008 and I gladly registered Ryan.

First day was chaotic as the little ones were accompanied by their parents, grandparents, aunties, uncles, etc, who came by the horde, armed with cameras (like me!) and videocams. All of us wanted to capture our kids "first-day-at-school" and to be there for them. I was also alarmed by the presence of a large number of people/adult within the school compound and I eyed each of them with suspicion, especially since I heard a lot of stories of kidnapping in school. I share the same fear with a few parents and was relieved when they did not allow any more adult into the school compound after the second day.

Besides that, I was also anxiuos as I have arranged for Ryan's transportation back to the day care centre and I hope that they can find him.

Ryan was excited. He woke up early and wore his new uniforms (I got him 5 sets for Mondays to Fridays), which consists of a white shirt and blue short pants. He was attentive in class and was happy to discovered that a few of his kindie friends are also students there. During recess, I packed him water and a few biscuits but he's not interested. He's more interested to run "wild" in the small field besides the school canteen. After 5 minutes of running, he's all hot and sweaty and his white shoes turned grey.

And that marks the start of my nightmares...