Thursday 4 September 2008

End of My Confinement Bliss

We will be celebrating Caitlin's full moon this Saturday (6 September 2008) with a small gathering for immediate family members. My confinement lady (Auntie Yoke) will also be leaving this Saturday after spending 28 days with us and I can tell you that she will be missed.

Auntie Yoke is a 52-year old lady with 2 grown up kids and she has started offering confinement services for the past 1.5 years. Although considered to be new, she takes good care of Caitlin (+ Ryan) and me (+ Hubby) and have a good relationship with Aunt Jo. Since Day 1, she has been cooking and cooking and cooking and at the same, I have been eating and eating and eating. Whatever she dishes up, I will finish it.
I think I have easily consumed about 20 "kampung" chickens, 10 kgs of pork, over 20 kgs of ginger, 1 bottle of Yomeishu, I bottle of VSOP, 4 bottles of sesame oil, 5 bottles of rice wines, loads of dates and other herbs.

And that's only what I can recall...

So as you can see, I have definitely overate and have not manage to shed any weight but to gain more. Sigh

Back to my confinement food. Well, there are loads of ginger in every dish and ginger is not only used in cooking but also one of the ingredients in my bathing water; yes, during this period, the confinement lady boils special herbs water for me to take bath (see picture).












She also boils dates for me everyday since I can only drink dates water and no other liquid!! But it's ok as I like it.

With Auntie Yoke leaving us soon, I will definitely miss all the food she prepares and the pampering. It has been a good confinement for me and now it's time for me to face reality and to shed some weight.