Tuesday 30 September 2008

Breast Feeding

When I was pregnant with Caitlin, I decided to try breast feeding after failing miserably 6 years ago. Ryan relied on milk powder since Day 1. This time around, I'm more determined, better informed and well prepared or so I thought.

I remember wanting to give up after 2~3 weeks of trying. I remember being miserable and stressed because it was so difficult, time consuming and I'm tired of the whole process, especially when you don't get much result. My sister who is breastfeeding Joseph and friends urged me to be continue but still it was tough and I was despair. I was about to quit and then hubby came to the rescue. I still remember his words. Good things are never easy and he will support me.

Thereafter, I shift my focus on Caitlin. Of course I want the best for her. No doubt that breast feeding is cumbersome, especially when I'm back to work but I should at least try before quitting. So I persisted. I drink more water since I read somewhere that this helps, I did more research and I talked to friends for guidance and support.

Since then, my breast milk has increased and I was ecstatic when I managed to express 125ml (slightly over 4 ounces) this morning. Success has been slow and I still cannot produce enough for Caitlin. She's currently on a mixture of breast milk and formula. I'm happy that I did not give up and I'm looking for ways to help increase the flows. Also I'm enjoying another benefit of breast feeding ~ weight control for mummy as I try to get back to shape.