Friday 13 June 2008

Stepping Out of Your Comfort Zone

Although Melinda admits that she would prefer to stay out of public view forever, her older daughter got her thinking. "I really want her to have a voice, whatever she chooses to do. I need a role model for her". "As I thought about strong women of history, I realised that they stepped out in some way," she said.
Melinda Gates Goes Public (excerpt from Fortune, January 21, 2008)

Reading this article makes me realised that in order for me to make an impact and to move forward to greater things, I cannot shy away from doing things which I don't like. There are prices to pay and sacrifices to be made. You just have to decide what you want.

Recently, I have been asked whether would I consider moving to another area/department. After all, I have been doing the same job (plus minus) for the last 10 years and here is an opportunity for me to learn new things. But I have been rather comfortable (actually very comfortable) in my current job as everything here is very structured.

The new job is rather challenging and fluid as it's a new department and well, new department means that you have to start everything from scratch. Then, there's timing; I will be giving birth to my second child soon and there will be adjustment to our family life once baby arrives. Would I be able to handle all all these changes?.

Although I have wanted to move on but not at this point of my life. But like what my friends said, " There's never a right time and opportunity does not come every day".
I am going to think real hard on this and hopefully, it would be something I won't regret.