Saturday 21 June 2008

Book: State of Fear

This is not my first Michael Crichton book and will not be my last. I've always enjoyed reading his book although at times (especially this book) I feel like I'm reading a journal. His books are full of facts and quotes/references that at times can be overkilling.

This book is about a philanthropist by the name of George Morton who is concerned about the environment and pledges millions of dollars to a fund (NERF) in its fight against global warming. Morton doesn't realize, however, that Nicholas Drake, the head of NERF, is secretly working with an ecoterrorist group, to trigger a series of climatic disasters that will call attention to the dangers of global warming and fatten NERF's coffers.

Morton becomes suspicious of NERF when some of its funds are diverted, and he demands an audit and threatens to withdraw his pledge. But Morton mysteriously disappears after a car crash, leaving his young attorney, Peter Evans and beautiful assistant, Sarah Jones into a perilous race to save the world from the activities of the ecoterrorists. At the end of hte day, the plot is very predictable but I enjoyed it!!

I would rate is a 7/10.